Grandma Zetta's Cupboard


Hello my friends,
 
I remember as a child loving the circus, and I even took my own kids to see what it felt like to be under the "big top".

 


Ringling Brothers B&B Circus

One of the world’s longest-running entertainment franchises, the Ringling Brothers B&B Circus promises an unforgettable day out for the whole family. Since the Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circuses joined forces in 1919, this mammoth traveling circus company has been delighting fans around the world with its cast of talented performers. From the hilarious antics of comedic clowns to the inspiring feats of strongmen, every act featured on the Ringling Brothers B&B tour guarantees you’ll be on the edge of your seat until the final curtain drops.


But as I got older I fell out of love and decided that clowns are actually a bit scary!

(may have something to do with a scary clown movie or two)
 
 
Do any of you feel this way?
 
Well, be prepared to fall in love again!!
 
My friend, Shirley from Zettas Aprons happens to love the circus.  In fact, she told me she has become even more obsessed with it since they have outlawed the use of elephants and that '2017' will be it's final year.
 
She has been creating the most fabulous circus pieces.  Recently she decided to house them in an old yellow cupboard she inherited from her Grandma Zetta.
 
 
She has the most amazing mind and the things that she comes up with are simply fantastic!
 
For example, she spied the clown Salty and Peppy shakers at one of our estate sales.  I thought she would just add them to her display.  But no, she had to create something with them.
 
Using fun animals and the shakers she concocted a circus train.  She's always on the look out for tins to create scenes in.  The Quik-Seal is absolutely perfect!
 
 
Friends that know her love for the circus will send her things now and then.  This sweet shadow box was gifted to her.
 

 
I too have contributed to her collection.  I first met her when I gifted her a vintage tin top with a circus theme.  I also spied the little clown in the chair and knew it had to go to Shirley's house.  He was so ugly that he was cute!!  :)
 
She never passes up a Circus Peanuts tin!
 
 
 
When I spied the funny bear (or is it a monkey) blow horn at Aunt Bunnies estate, I knew exactly who would be buying it.
 

 
She adds party hats and collars to vintage animals.
 
 
She's also has found some fabulous circus themed tin toys!
 
 
 Another peek at the train.
 

No animal is undressed!
 



One of the things she creates that I absolutely adore are her tin scenes.  Many of these are small Altoid tins.
She makes the most magnificent scenes in the tiniest of spaces!
 

 
It's so fun to be with her when she finds something to create with.  You can just see her mind working!  For instance, last week at our estate sale she spied a round tea cozy.  She opened it up and squealed.  Then she quickly revealed to us that it would make the most fabulous steam punk googles. . .only Shirley!! (wink)
 
I think Grandma Zetta's cupboard is loving these darling circus creations made by her granddaughter!
 
 
And here's the genius behind it all. . .Shirley.
 
 


I hope you have had fun!
 
Her circus obsession does not stop here.  She has also created a "Halloween", a "Christmas", and "4th of July" themed circus.
 
How about you, do you love or hate the circus?
 
hugs,
Jann

I will be sharing with these fun parties: 
Vintage Charm



15 comments

Shirley Hatfield said...

Wow,Jann! I am so touched that you liked my stuff enough to blog about it. You are such a sweetie! I can't wait to share this with my family.
You have done things in your own home and garden that simply blow me away. I am truly blessed to have such creative friends.

Louca por porcelana said...

Hi Jann!Love the circus!Congratulations to Shirley and you: Great post!Love all pieces,especially the porcelain elephants.Have a nice weekend!Hugs!

Edith said...

Jan What a wonderful collection I just love it. So good to see this saved forever for us to love. GOOD WORK .

Susie said...

Jann, Your friend has a fabulous collection. I went to a circus, on our sixth grade field trip. It was fun. But I no longer have a desire to attend. It's sad they are not around any more...as you said for the younger ones to enjoy. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

I remember the Ringling Bros. Barnum and Bailey Circus from when I was a child. I attended with my aunt in Oklahoma City.

There's a large circus miniature display at the museum in Joplin, MO.

I too find that clowns have been spoiled by a movie or two or maybe a trailer I saw. I haven't watched scary movies in nearly 25 years, but some of the images have stayed with me. Yuck! I wish my family had protected me as a child.

The display your friend made is so wonderful. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Laura

Kim said...

Shirley's circus displays are truly fun and whimsical. I too, am not enamored with clowns, I have always thought them scary.

happyone said...

I remember going to the Ringling Bros Circus with the brownies when I was a kid many many years ago and really enjoyed it. Was never crazy about the use of the animals though. I like the high wire acts and the trapeze acts.
I know quite a few people aren't that fond of clowns but I'm not one of them.
Shirley has quite a circus collection.

Cindy Lou said...

THANK GOD the poor elephants will NOT be subjected to any more CIRCUS ABUSE !! KEPT IN CHAINS !!! And CAGES !!!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Wow, what a display and so creative! I love the colors and whimsy of it all. I'm neutral about the circus over all and I can do without the clowns!

Rose L said...

An adorable display! I love the pieces, especially the carousel.

Anonymous said...

Jann, what a delightful circus display! Each piece is gorgeous and does bring back many memories. I do NOT like clowns, I never have. Thank you for sharing your photographs with us.

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Jann,
I really loved this post as you know we were fortunate to attend one of the last shows of the Ringling and Barnum and Bailey Circus!! I love the vintage signs from the circus that you shared and that cupboard filled with circus memorabilia is amazing. I now wish I would have picked up a few souvenirs from the circus!
Thanks so much for stopping by!!
Hugs,
Debbie

Diana said...

I'm so in love with Zettas' collection, Jann--thanks so much for sharing it with us all at Vintage Charm :)

Diana said...

PS Pinned!

Jeanie said...

How did I miss this! Totally delightful!

Instagram