Rustic Elegance. . .

Burlap is such a universal fabric that I fell head over heels in love with a few years ago.

Whenever I use it I feel that it has a bit of rustic charm.

Dress it up with just a few simple items and it then becomes elegant.

IMG_0682

I made this burlap pillow last weekend while on our gal pal trip to St. George.  Each year we have a committee that heads it up and has a few crafts for us to make.  A 2” burlap strip gathered by hand and pulled up to create a rustic flower.  Pearls, tuelle, ribbons and purchased flowers give it elegance. (Just noticed that I need to flip one pearl over so you don’t see the hole).

IMG_0679

A rustic tin becomes elegant with an added fancy number printed on burlap.  I bought this, but I want to try making some.  The little chick pin cushion was another craft we made.

IMG_0680

I bought this framed fern at a thrift store for $3.  Check out the original price on the back.  Painted white and the mat changed to burlap.  Yup, rustic elegance.

IMG_0321IMG_0344

IMG_0716

I sanded the frame to let a small amount of gold show through.  The fern looks to be a real dried frond painted slightly with gesso.

IMG_0717

I have shown my family room curtains before.  But they must be included in this category of rustic elegance.  The smocking and puddling give them that elegant touch.

IMG_0704

Simple pennants with added details. . .rustic elegance.

IMG_0710

IMG_0709

An inexpensive frame with circles of burlap pinched in the center to create a folded flower. Muslin flowers are simply rolled or gathered.  This and the banners were made by my creative hairdresser.

IMG_0712

Strips of white burlap tied to a jute string makes an elegant garland that I made to hang on my bedroom cabinet.

IMG_0705

There you have it, a bit of rustic elegance.  How about you?  Have you created something fun with burlap lately?

If you love burlap, you might want to visit my Pinterest board, “Burlap Beauty”http://pinterest.com/jmolson53/

hugs,

Jann

p.s.  If you haven’t joined me for Share Your Cup I would love to have you link up!

I’d also like to thank Cindy and Dru for my post Country Whites being one of the top 5 viewed at Country Whites Weekend.

I will be sharing with:

Hope in Every Season for Homemaking Party

A Delightsome Life for Home and Garden Thursday

Bernideens Teatime blog for Open House

Pearls and Lace Thursday

Common Ground for Be Inspired

Rooted in Thyme for Simple and Sweet Friday

33 comments

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

WOW! You have done some amazing things with burlap! Love the curtains and the number on the water can.

Anonymous said...

I just love your curtains !!! Hugs, Cristina

Old Time Cindy said...

Always a pleasure to feature you, Jann. Great burlap pieces. I need to get crafting again.
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

LOVE your burlap touches, Jann!

I love how thrifty you were to get such awesome looks too.

I *really* adore that birdie banner though, of course, haha.

Well done, looks great!

Unknown said...

WOw Jann - that's some gorgeous burlap happening in your home - those curtains are over the top beautiful!
XOX

La Tea Dah said...

How beautiful and charming! I love the burlap draperies and how you have reframed the fern leaf with a burlap background. Great ideas!!!

A friend recently decorated for a wedding reception. She used a lot of burlap for the table runners and decor. It was absolutely beautiful!

LaDonna
Gracious Hospitality

Unknown said...

What cute ideas-love love your curtains and pillow especially.

Pamela Gordon said...

Jann, you have made some really cute things from burlap. It's something I've never purchased. Have fun. Pam

Jen said...

I LOVE YOUR CURTAINS~!
I could see me running for the same purchase ~ oh wow, Thanksgiving Point... I need to pay closer attention on my visits there in the future!
Love all of it, but definitely holding out a special place in my mind for those curtains!
=)

Irene Helms Designs said...

Truly amazing burlap creations. Also checked out your Pinterest Board Burlap Beauties which I already follow. Thanks so much for sharing with us!

Irene

Susie said...

nn, The pillow is so pretty. I also like the curtains. xoxo,Susie

Sumaya at Evocative Vintage said...

You've done some adorable creations with burlap Jann. I love it all!:)

xx
Sumaya

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I'm inching onto the burlap bandwagon! I do have a sweet table runner I won in a giveaway and I love it! Maybe I'll have something fun in burlap to share soon! Love everything you made! Cute!
hugs,
Linda

20 North Ora said...

Those curtains are just beautiful. Did you make them? Great post on the many aspects of using burlap.

Judy

The Polka Dot Closet said...

What great burlap ideas! I think the last burlap project I did was groomsmen gift bags for my sons wedding. Thank you for your sweet congrats for my dress form adventure..We'll see!

Carol

Art and Sand said...

Oh, you gave me so many great ideas:

I have some burlap and some metal containers.

And, I have some chicken wire and old frames.

Thanks a lot - I was already busy this weekend with sewing and now you are making me do more projects.

Just kidding - I love being busy.

Maureen Wyatt said...

I seem to make everything out of burlap and cotton drop cloths. Somehow I'm inspired by it's simplicity. Love what you have created with burlap!

Micupoftea said...

Hi Jann! Happy May~ love the transformed fern print...it looks great with the burlap matting. Thanks for hosting the Share Your Cup each week. You send some coolness our way, won't you? It was 95 today and santa ana winds- whew!
shawn

priscilla said...

Love the pillow and tin container.. the chick is cute too ! So many cute burlap ideas ! Following you on Pinterest :) Have a great weekend !

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

Hi Jann, thanks again for hosting. I love burlap projects too. The last one I think I did was a couple of stockings at Christmas, before that some curtain panels, however today I'm planning on covering a bench seat with burlap. Either that or a buffalo check fabric. Still trying to decide. Hope you have a great weekend!
Liz

Unknown said...

I have been having a love affair with burlap for sometime now!
I also find it to be very rustic and I love that. It does make it's way into my art quite often, a little piece here and there.
Thanks for sharing, love the curtains!

Debra@CommonGround said...

LOVE that wonderful frame with the burlap mat and fern!!

One More Time Events said...

Your pillow is so cute... and love the curtains...Nicely done.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing your burlap projects with us Jann. I am loving those smocked curtains!!

xo, Tanya

Cynthia said...

Jann,

Such burlap beauty, love the pillow and the curtains are beautiful. You do such great things.

Cynthia

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

The pillow is really cute and your curtain is just gorgeous, perfect combination of rustic and elegance.

Ann said...

Your burlap beauties are wonderous. I so love the look of burlap, but working with it makes me break out in hives. So, I have to stick to burlap projects that require a minimum of handling. Wish I could work on something like those dreamy curtains.

cynthia lee designs said...

Great burlap pieces! I have a burlap runner on my dining room table that a friend made for me. I've made some mice out of burlap last year that I sold at my shows.
hugs,
Cindy

The Farmers Daughter said...

I love burlap, too, Jann. It's been around the farm for ages! I was so surprised a few years ago to find that others had discovered it. Loved all your pieces! So glad you joined Cindy and me for Country Whites Weekend and that you were one of the top five! It's friends like you who make our party special.
Hugs from My Farmhouse!
Dru

Unknown said...

I'm on the burlap bandwagon too, Jann! Just can't seem to get enough of it!! Love your curtains!!~~Angela

Doni said...

I used to play with burlap, making I can't remember what now, but that was many years ago...
I love how it's come back though...the texture and color are perfect with for the chic style that is so popular. LOVE that curtain, and that pillow is so sweet!! I'm excited that you shared this post with us for my party!
blessings,
Doni

Kathy said...

Love the details to the pillow and to the curtain - beautiful! ! I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy

Ana Love Craft said...

Beautiful projects!Thanks for sharing tutorial!
Have a wonderful week!
Hugs from Portugal,

Ana Love Craft
www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

Instagram