Savoring Summer. . .

Well my friends, it's been a hot summer here in UT.  Both the months of June and July went down as two of the hottest on record.  Not only that, but it was also our driest July.  Not what we want to hear, right?
 
 
 
Many of you know my love for plaid.  I use it a lot in the winter, but I found these fun pieces with lime green at a couple of different thrift shops and I love how they tied in with my other dishes!  The little watermelon bowl and melamine dishes were also thrift finds.  The flash card was scored at a yard sale. 
 
I am not going to wish summer away!  Winter will be upon us soon enough, so as for me; I am going to savor summer!
 
I've pulled out my watermelon décor.   The red represent the sizzling heat, but paired with green it brings a cooling effect.  At least for me.  :)
 


It's all about the layering.  (wink)  I removed the bowl so you could see.  Did you notice that not all of the settings are alike?
 
(sesame street. . .one of these things is not like the other)
 

Where there is watermelon there is sure to be ants.

 

 
I filled a white picnic basket with faux flowers and added a watermelon hot pad made by a friend.  My sis gave me the
picnic tile.
 
Once the table was set I started pulling out other green and red dishes to decorate the kitchen.  It's amazing (no surprise there) how many I actually had.  lol!
 

(polka dots, stripes, and jadite)
 
Red and green, not just for Christmas!
 

 

 


(plaid, depression glass, and enamelware)
 

 
A kitchen window vignette.  Notice I've been sneaking a few of the cinnamon squares?  This gal loves cinnamon!

 

 
I just picked up the bowls with the checkered rim last week.  Loved the little surprise tucked inside!

 

 
I found this sweet geranium platter the same day as the checkered rim bowls.  Love it!!  The black cake stand was picked up at an estate sale.
 
Yup, it might be hot but I'm here to enjoy it.
 
 
I love wicker and scored this cute stool for $5.  I made the watermelon wedge a few years ago.  I think this may end up out on the front porch.
 
 
I'll leave you with a few more flashcards depicting summer images.
 
 
Picnics and playtime. . .
 
 
harvesting, carnivals, and wagons! 
 
What's not to savor about summer?
 
hugs,
Jann

 
 
 

24 comments

Dawn@Petals.Paper.SimpleThymes said...

Love all of your red and green for summer, Jann! Your rustic watermelon wedge on the white wicker stool would be just charming on your front porch! We have a rustic watermelon wedge in a grapevine wreath on the porch. Sure wish we could share our abundance of rain with you! We had twice the normal rainfall in July in Illinois. When August arrives, we must remember to savor these simple, summer days! Such a great cheery post! Big hugs! ♡

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

You have such a cute collection of dishes! Love that you can use red and green in the summer...but only you can put it all together perfectly with your variety of things. You always seem to find just the right thing to go with your collections :-)

Betty said...

I love your table setting and those watermelon bowls are so cute. We have been having the hottest summer too, but also too much rain.

cloches and lavender said...

Cute, cute, cute my dear. At first I thought I was seeing things with the ants on the plates. You always find and have the best dishes.

Cindy

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

SO CUTE!!!! You are so creative, Jann, you just amaze me. Love it!!

GranthamLynn said...

Oh what a delightful post! I love those thrifted dishes. I wish I got a chance to thrift more! When I do though I get some great finds. But never cool dishes. I love all your little displays. This was a great post! Oh and I love the hot pad. I want to make one!
Thanks for sharing. I'll see you on Thursday.

Connie said...

I had so much fun going through your photos . . . your dish collection is wonderful. What a great touch of summer everywhere, watermelon, red and white checks, picnic blanket plaids and ants . . . how perfect is that? Perfection!

Sarah said...

Jann, watermelon says summer to me. Your plate stack is adorable with the mix of watermelon themed pieces paired with the check and tartan. Makes me smile!

Rose L said...

Ants crack me up!

happyone said...

Wow, so many nice collections you have!!
Wonderful happy colors. : )

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Summer passes quickly at our high altitude, Jann, so I'm enjoying it as much as possible myself even though I'm not a fan of very hot days. Your watermelon dishes and summer decor is so cute! You find the best things thrifting

20 North Ora said...

Always love seeing what you do with your dishes. These sets are just adorable. I love red dishes.

Have a wonderful Wednesday.

Judy

Summer said...

Your plaids are gorgeous ♥

summerdaisy.net

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

I was glad to see your cupboard. You put together awesome tablescapes, but I've wondered where you keep all your pieces. I know that's just a few....
I, too, love dishes, but I find myself holding back at yard and thrift sales, because I just don't know where to put them. They just bring so much joy to the table when they are pretty or cute.

I like the way you've put mismatched dishes together. They look great. Years ago, after my little kids just kept breaking dishes, and my favorite set was gone, I just started collecting white plates and bowls no matter the style and mixing them together. They're getting older, I might be able to branch out again soon!

Enjoy your summer while I dream of Autumn!

Please drop by and say hello!
ஐღLauraღஐ
Harvest Lane Cottage
...doing what I can with what I've got where I am
on a short shoestring budget!
~~~~~

Creations By Cindy said...

Jann, I adore your red and greens. Love the 3 tier galvanized piece holding your goodies. I want one of those! What a deal on the white wicker stool. Loved looking at all of your pretties today. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Pat said...

Jann,
LOVE the red and green tablescape, dear friend!
Your cabinet filled with green Jadite and red is stunning!
I adore all the recent finds that blend harmoniously with your color theme!
Fondly,
Pat

Pam Richardson said...

Jann, I look forward to all of your beautiful vignettes using your fabulous collections! The flash cards are so perfect, and I love all the red and green! Your Instagram feed is a favorite of mine! Pam @ Everyday Living

Cindy Lou said...

Waaaay cute girl ! I love plaid and gingham Too!! My passion! Looks great !

Antiques And Teacups said...

I just love the red/ green and ants! How cute!
Ruth

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Jann,
You know how I love red so you know that I LOVE this post!! The dishes with the ants are precious and so cute!! It has also broke records here ( 9 days over 90 degrees in a row) but we did get almost 6 inches of rain over the last 5 days so we are not as dry as we were and I was saved from watering for a few days!
Hugs,
Debbie

Nina Lewis said...

You have so many fun dishes! I'm particularly drawn to all of the red ones. So cute!

Jeanie said...

I love every photo! That red and white is so darned cheerful it makes me smile!

Winnie said...

All of these photos are great!
I loooooooove the colors, and I specially adore the watermelon bowls - soooooo cute!!
I'd love to fill them with sweet-summer dessert :)

cynthia lee designs said...

Love your summer dishes...so pretty!! I'm ready for Summer to be over...we have had several act storms with tornado watches and warnings.
~Cindy

Instagram