My $35 Table. . .

A few weeks ago my friends and I went to a cabin in Midway, UT for a weekend getaway.  On Sat. we headed into the town of Heber.  Much to our surprise we spied not one, but two thrift shops.

A couple of my friends saw this $35 table and said, “Don’t you need a table?"  “This is pretty cute.”  I agreed and thought that I might have hubby bring me back up to buy it.

The following Friday night I called and asked if it was still there.  As luck would have it, “YES!”.  Hubby and I headed up Sat. morning and brought her home with us.

Yesterday I finished giving her a make over.  What do you think?

IMG_0817

Now, she’s not the ideal farm table I was hoping for in my basement kitchen.  However, for $35 how could I go wrong?

IMG_0795

This is what she looked like when I bought her.  You can see that I almost forgot to take a picture.  It was the double pedestal that made me fall in love.

IMG_0794

Using my homemade recipe (3 parts paint, 1 part plaster of Paris, and a little water) I mixed up some Vintage White and Benjamin Moore Black chalk paint and then finished her off with both dark and clear Annie Sloan wax.

I wanted it to look as though it had traveled across the prairie so I sanded her in a few places.  This was not easy after 4 coats of paint.

IMG_0818

She was pretty with just the paint, but looked more cottage than farm style.  What do you think, do you like the sanded areas or should’ve I left her alone?

IMG_0821

I love how the edges and these little accent pieces turned out.

IMG_0820

A while ago I found this bench at Home Goods.  Does that not look like an old farm bench?  Guess what?  It was made in China.  lol!  Oh well, I won’t tell if you won’t.  Oops, looks like I just did.

IMG_0825

IMG_0824

I wasn’t sure where I would use it when I bought it, but just loved it’s rustic charm.

IMG_0823

What do you think?  “Do you like it with the table?  My $150 bench with my $35 table.  Sounds like it should be the other way around, right?  By the way, I have to say, I love how the black legs look with the flooring.  Just noticed that the felt protectors I put on the bottom really show from this angle.

Still working on chairs to go with it.  They don’t match, but that’s the fun of it all!

"I’d love to know what you think!

hugs,

Jann

I will be sharing with:

Kathe with an e for You're gonna love it Tuesday

Flusters Creative Muster Party

Green Willow Pond for What We Accomplished Wednesday

Dolly is Cooking for Country Homemaker Party

The Thrifty Groove for Thrifty Things Friday

25 comments

Jonell w Harrison said...

Jann you KNOW we love it!!! Good stuff-about the bench..Good is Good no matter it's history or origin don't you think? We have a small stash of very very old boards /I treasure every little thing My hubby puts together for me using them. It just doesn't take much to make me happy :^) Enjoy your treasures!

Jonel

Shabby Brocante, Karen said...

Wow. An amazing deal! You did a fabulous job!! What a great basement!
Karen

Robyn said...

$35 dollars for THAT table? AMAZING deal!! I think it looks beautiful what you did with it and I LOVE the black legs..

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

Love your "deal of a table", and really like the sanding you did to the paint. You really are creative! :) Pam

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Great table and I love the Bench...it is coming together!!

Linda W. said...

Wow! Such a bargain! And you are so creative! Looks great.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Oh, the bench was worth every cent! I love it and it looks perfect with your table! Great job!

Stacey said...

Way to go! You just couldn't pass that up.

Susie said...

You did very well with your make over. 35 dollars is a good buy. Enjoy. xoxo,Susie

priscilla said...

Love the bench and the table ! Great job painting !

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Love the double pedestal on that table and a great makeover!! Love the bench also and I'll never tell where it was made :)

Hugs,
Linda

Jemma@athomewithjemma said...

Your double pedestal table and bench are perfection. I tell you-you have an eye for this sort of thing! What a cool little recipe you have for aging your table and yes she does look like she took a trip-love her leave her as is!! Success my friend!
Happy Hugs,
Jemma

Leslie said...

Wonderful. I LOVE IT!!!!!

Nell at njschout said...

Great job on the table. I really like it!

Bernideen said...

I think that is wonderful!

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

I spotted the double pedestals right away and loved that feature. Nice work! The bench is great. Some of the things made in China are really cool. This is one of them!
Liz

cynthia lee designs said...

I love it...the table looks great painted and sanded!! And I love the bench too! It says farmhouse style for sure!!
hugs,
Cindy

La Tea Dah said...

Charming as can be! I love it! Actually, I loved the before AND the after!

LaDonna
Gracious Hospitality

Unknown said...

The table loos beautiful! I like it with the bench. Great job.

Tea in the Library said...

Love both pieces. I like the sanded places on the table. Like the creaminess of the paint. (I will be bookmarking your paint recipe.)

Unknown said...

Oh I just love it. You did an excellent job.

Robin said...

I love the double pedestal. Thank you for sharing at Fluster's Creative Muster Party!

Robin
Fluster Buster

ThrifterSisters said...

Jann, you gave that table a very professional makeover! It looks like you went and bought it from one of those super chic and expensive stores that specialize is shabby décor!

Can't wait to see what chairs you find for it. I love the look of mismatched chairs.

Erica

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I love the table and the bench. I think a couple of mismatched chairs are needed with the table and bench to make it look like you are mismatching on purpose!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Jann you know I love this table!! Thanks for joining Diann and I at TTF this week!

Linda

Instagram