Continuous Color. . .

Happy Sunday my friends.  Hope you are having a wonderful Memorial weekend!  Each day as I stroll the gardens I am reminded of why I love perennials so much.

If you plan it right, you will find that you have continuous color.  I am always a bit sad as one bloom fades, but at the same time I am filled with delight as the new ones unfurl.

I thought I would share what new surprises are in the garden this week.

Iris

Every Memorial Day weekend the Iris put on a show.  Must be why a lot of people call them ‘flags’.  These old fashioned flowers were one of my sweet mothers favorites.  Of course, this makes me love them too!

IMG_0877

                             Columbine

IMG_0856

                                                    Jupiters Beard

IMG_0855

                              Mtn. Bluet (perennial Bachelor's Button)

IMG_0866

                                           Sweet Rocket

IMG_0863

                                                   Candy Tuft

IMG_0857

IMG_0858

New trailers take debut among the rocks.  Little Petite and yellow Ice Plant

IMG_0861IMG_0859

                                                         daisy

IMG_0865

                                       Sea Thrift       

IMG_0872

                                       first sight of my white Poppy

IMG_0864

Remember not only do you want to choose perennials that will give you continuous color, but also your bushes and trees.

This red Honeysuckle was just planted last year.  Starting to grow nicely.

IMG_0871

The leaves of my tri-color Beech unfurled just as the Crabapple, Pear, and Redbud blooms faded.  A few bushes that have taken center stage after Forsythia, Flowering Almond, and Quince are Lilacs, Bridal Wreath, and Snowball.

PicMonkey Collage

I love pops of white in the garden!

IMG_0873

I hope you enjoyed a peek at this week in the garden.  The next group of perennials that will bloom are probably my most favorite.

My vegetable garden is flourishing and we are now munching on radishes and lettuce.  I’ll share that in another post.

Hugs,

Jann

p.s.  I want to give a big country ‘thanks’ to Cindy and Dru for featuring my post  A Sneak Peek of My Farmhouse Style as one of the top 6 viewed at this months Country Whites Weeked.

I will be joining these fun parties:

The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sunday

Sunny Simple Sunday

Vintage View Sunday

Little Red House for Mosaic Monday

Lavender Garden Cottage for Cottage Style Party

Fishtail Cottage for Garden Party

25 comments

Dana@Mid2Mod said...

Your garden is beautiful! Here in Texas, my iris have already bloomed, along with japonica, but the coral honeysuckle is looking so pretty, and I have evergreen re-blooming daylilies (early, mid-season and late) that are going to be wonderful. One of the early ones is just about to flower. Isn't it great to have things blooming from early spring through fall? Then it's time for pots of pansies in the winter!

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Wow, Jann- you truly have a remarkable garden.

Our garden is only a few years old, as when we moved here all they had was grass and some home owners anchor trees - we plant and plant, and slowly it's coming around.

I am learning how to garden, but it's difficult having to only choose plants the deer won't steal...but it's fun.

You, on the other hand, know exactly wh at you're doing and it is AWESOME to see it.

Thanks for sharing- and have a wonderful remiander of holiday weekend.

eileeninmd said...

Lovely flowers and colors. The irises and the daisies are my favorites. Beautiful photos, Jann. Happy Weekend to you!

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

The bridal wreath spirea is glorious.

I'm on the west coast, and my garden is on the same bloom time. :) Lots of iris, daisy, perennial bachelors buttons. My peonies are a little slow though.

Sue xo

Tanya Rachelle said...

Inspirational! Love the snowballs! White is always so pretty in a garden! Thanks for sharing.
~Tanya

Robyn said...

Jan
Your gardens are absolutely beautiful!.. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Laura Turner said...

Hi Jann,
I featured you on Vintage View Sunday today. This post would have been a wonderful addition!
Best,
Laura

Susie said...

Jann, My mother loved irises and lilacs more than other flowers. I think it's because they were the only flowers in the yard, where my mother moved when we were small. My mother planted many other flowers and flowering trees through the years. I can't even look at purple irises and not think of my mother. Hope your weekend is fun .xoxo,Susie

sweetbriardreams said...

I love your continuous colour, especially the white poppy! My garden is awash with colour at the moment and it seemed strange putting my jug of home grown flowers together this morning with tulips, daffodils and pairing them up with honeysuckle, lilacs and roses. A very strange year in the gardening world. Have a wonderful memorial day! xx

Winnie said...

You have a beautiful garden Jann !:)

Stacey said...

Beautiful! You are lucky to have lots of things blooming right now.

Amy F said...

Those are all lovely! I love pops of white too :)

Nancy said...

You have a gorgeous garden!! Our patio is ringed with honeysuckle and this year has been the best. They are covered with flowers and smell soooo good. We fight the wind, heat and cold for everything that grows here which makes them all the sweeter. Thanks for sharing today.

Linda W. said...

Nice flower photos. You have a lovely garden!

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Jann,
what a lovely post full of such beauty, so enjoyed it, as I am a flower lover too. Never met a flower I didn't like.............

Blessings, Nellie

Diane said...

What a variety of flowers you have. I always admire a pretty garden, our yard is so small. Thanks for stopping by and lovin' my farmhouse pitchers. Enjoy the rest of your weekend! Diane

Old Time Cindy said...

You have a nice assortment of color and flowers within your garden. I never have done planning for continuous color even though I know I should. Sigh. Always fun to feature you at the party!
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I loved seeing your garden. I don't have many spring bloomers anymore. The spring has been cold lately so they don't hardly bloom. I have concentrated on summer and early fall perennials. I do have sea thrift and forget me not and a spurge that are pretty early. I guess a couple dwarf columbine from a garage sale. I just got rid of my creeping phlox. It looked terrible. I like irises but I don't have any.

priscilla said...

My Iris are just starting to bloom ! You have a lot of beautiful perenials !

The Tablescaper said...

Your garden is marvelous.

Great to have you at Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper

Katherines Corner said...

Wow, everything looks so lovely! Thank you for sharing xo

Rose L said...

So colorful! I am supposed to be going to an outdoor BBQ today but it is raining!

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

Your garden is a dream. Your irises are like jewels.

Art and Sand said...

Your garden is blooming beautifully. It is so much fun to notice new things blooming each day.

I hope your weather doesn't get too hot too soon so you can enjoy your flowers.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love all of the flowers that come up from bulbs and multiply. What a welcome surprise in the Spring!

Instagram